Thursday 14 August 2014

‘Appy Hours - Now With Alcohol Consumption Tracking?

Is it just me or is the world going mad?

I am all for the responsible retailing and consumption of alcohol. I am also all for the survival of the British Pub and for the great enjoyment 99% of drinkers get from a visit to the pub. I am also all for downing a pint or two responsibly (or whatever your medicine is) and for personal reliability. BUT am I alone?

Drinkaware (a worthy organisation) have now launched, would you believe, an APP which enables you to track your alcohol consumption, calculate units and calories and set goals to help you moderate your drinking. So when you are enjoying a drink with your friends and they ask "what are you having?" you can check your APP before you reply.

This technological wonder apparently has a plethora of indispensable features, including:
  • Tracking the units and calories in your drinks
  • An extensive database of alcohol brands
  • Teaching you more about the health benefits of cutting down
  • Allowing you to feel supported with regular and personalised feedback
  • Pinpointing locations where you need extra help; from your local to your own home
  • Setting goals tailored to your existing drinking habits
  • Setting rewards for achieving your goals
  • Displaying your progress in terms of units or calories drunk
  • Recording and reviewing your drinking over time - How you’re doing compared to last week, or last month?
AS Far as I’m concerned I have my own APP, it’s called self control, and if that doesn’t work I have another fall back APP when I’m drinking in my local, its called The Landlord; who says “you’ve had enough Readie, go home”. And if the Landlord doesn’t spot it I have another APP, it’s called my mates who tell me I’m talking rubbish, and then my final APP - myself!! so  one way or another; I go home!

31 Pubs closing each week, health warnings on all alcohol packaging, fines for buying your mate a pint if he/she appears intoxicated, now an APP to see if you can have another half of Bitter.

World gone mad for 99% of drinkers or perhaps it is just me?


Martin Read CMBII
Managing Director of www.inn-dispensable.com Personal Licence Courses

No comments:

Post a Comment